MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
May I offer a warm welcome to Copleston High School and Sixth Form. We are very much looking forward to meeting you and your child to start a transition programme to our fantastic school ready for September 2023.
In addition to the Induction Days at school from 26 - 29 June 2023, we will also be offering this programme to you remotely via our website- see below for details.
In the dedicated transition area of the website you will also be able to find links to the videos and all essential paperwork and there will be a dedicated email address:
We will also be talking to your Year 6 teachers over the next half term to ensure we have up to date information regarding your child.
We appreciate that transition to high school can be a worrying but an exciting time for your child. We have put together a programme of transition activities for your child to enjoy at school as well as watch and take part in to prepare them for starting at Copleston High School and Sixth Form. This will be available later in June and will be accessible on this page.
There will be further communication with you in June / July to confirm the starting arrangements for your child. I hope you and your child find the ‘’transition events” useful and informative and begin to feel part of Copleston High School and Sixth Form.
Mr A Green
AIMS of TRANSITION 2023:
- Set the highest Expectations for all students, ensuring they understand and embrace the Copleston High School Ethos.
- To support students with the challenges of starting secondary school
- To give a friendly and warm welcome to Copleston High School.
Transition to secondary school is one of the biggest and most significant changes in a child's life, which is why at Copleston we place the upmost importance on getting it right to ensure all of our new Year 7 students are happy, motivated and primed to be the best that they can be.
Our approach to transition consists of a bespoke programme of events that is tailored to enable all new students feel the warm welcome Copleston offers and to develop an awareness and application of key attributes that make a good learner. We look to hone core values such as being resilient, innovative, mindful and employable. We help to grow students who are bold, creative, unafraid to take risks in their learning, believe in their abilities and demonstrate resilience no matter what the challenge is in front of them. Our aim is to instil these skills in our students from the very beginning so that they can go on to be the best that they can be.
TIMELINE OF EVENTS
- Applications submitted for entry in Copleston High School (Cohort 2023). Deadline 31st of October
- Copleston Carol Concert (First Friday in December) Britannia, Clifford Road, Rose Hill and Broke Hall.
- Welcome Packs with Letter 1
- Transfer Forms sent to Primary Schools (with covering letter)
- Mr Pheasant / LOL and Learning Support arrange and meet with Year 6 staff to discuss every student
- Visits to primary schools to meet Year 6 – in person
- Letter 2 – info on transition week
- SENCO meeting with Primary counterparts to discuss SEN students
Transition Week (Induction)
Year 6 students spend 2 days at Copleston, getting a taste of secondary school life and begin their induction to Copleston.
Our core aims are:
1. To set the highest expectations and to begin to embed the Copleston way
2. To welcome you to Copleston in a warm, engaging manner
3. To develop rapport and start to build friendships between yourself and other year 6 students
Activities during Transition week include:
- Team Bonding activities with their new peers
- Workshops developing key skills
- Taster Lessons in subjects they will study in Year 7
29 June 2023- Induction Evening 6:00pm
Year 6 students and parents invited to gain vital information about school systems including the student planner, homework, student support, the school day etc. Students and parents will also meet Mr Pheasant, the Leader of Learning (Head of Year) for Year 7, Tracy Pilkington (Head of Learning Support) all who will welcome you to Copleston and present key information and answer myths and worries that students (and parents!) may have about September.
Our Transition programme doesn't end there though….
At Copleston High School, we place valuable emphasis on the start that our learners make to high school and realise the importance of been supported, nurtured and challenged. Throughout Year 7, students are set a series of challenges and take part in a number of exciting events that further develop their Copleston High School attributes and integrate them into the Copleston family.
Year 6 Induction Days at Copleston Summer 2023
- Monday 26 June / Tuesday 27 June – Britannia/Clifford Road + Sidegate
- Wednesday 28 June / Thursday 29 June – Broke Hall / Rose Hill / St John's + Other schools
- Wednesday 28 June 6 p.m. in Sports Hall - Year 6 Parents' / Carers' Evening
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR 2022 VIRTUAL OPEN EVENING. This also contains a link to a virtual tour of the school.
Enhanced Transition - Romanian
Enhanced Transition (Romanian Edition from 2021)
Parents / Carers Booklet
Year 6 Presentation
Transition BrochureVirtual Tour
Welcome from the Principal and LOL Year 7
Welcome from the Principal and LOL Year 7 coming soon
Getting to know you Booklet